Dear Washoe Valley Alliance Friends,
Now is the time to strengthen our alliance to fulfill the vision to
“Preserve and protect Washoe Valleys unique qualities through Education and Stewardship.”
Programs and Events
• Celebrate Washoe Valley – public annual event held at Washoe Lake State Park
• Washoe Valley Scenic Byway brochure and promotion
• Partnership with Friends of Washoe Lake State Park: office volunteer; park clean-up
• Partnership with Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful : Adopt-a-Highway clean-up on
Eastlake Blvd ; Christmas Tree Recycling
• Partnership with West Washoe Landowners Association
New additions to the website:
• “Partners in Preservation” – Power point presentation of the millions of dollars invested
in the preservation of Washoe Valley
• Washoe Valley Scenic Byway maps and Corridor Management Plan
• Links to the websites of our Partners…government agencies and community
organizations that support Washoe Valley (“hover” over the word Partners to display)
• Links to Washoe Lake State Park, Davis Creek Park, and Bowers Mansion State Park
• History of the Washoe Tribe
• History of Mining
• Bibliography of Washoe Valley reference books
Under “ Hot Topics”
• Link to the South Valleys Area Plan
• Link to Washoe County Development Code
Washoe Valley Alliance took an active role in addressing issues including: Submitting extensive comments for the BLM Resource Management Plan regarding management of BLM lands in Washoe Valley and surrounding areas. Carson City District Proposed RMP/Final EIS will be released to the public early in 2019.
• Attending meetings, making written comments on the proposed Federal Lands Bill.
• Writing comments and testifying on proposed Development Code change to allow
Heavy Industrial uses on General Rural parcels. Application denied by Washoe County
• Attending workshops, offering written comments and testimony on proposed
Development Code change on expanding Outdoor Entertainment types and allowing
these activities on small residential and commercial parcel. Proposal was not approved.
• At the request of Washoe Valley Alliance, an easement was approved for an
Equestrian/Pedestrian Trail between Washoe Lake State Park and BLM land east of
• Participating in the Eastlake Parcel Map Review Committee approved with condition of
approval from the Department of Wildlife.
• Collaborating with our Partners
• Collaborating with neighboring South Valleys action groups
• Attending Citizen Advisory Board , Truckee Meadows Regional Planning, Washoe County
Planning, and Board of County Commission meetings.
2019 Goals for All
• Participate in the development of the update to the Truckee Meadows Regional Plan
• Participate in any update to the South Valleys Area Plan.
• Work to protect Washoe Valley’s rural lifestyle
• Contact government agencies and commissioners
• Promote 6
the Annual” Celebrate Washoe Valley “ -May 18, 2019
• Find funding for Washoe Valley Scenic Byway Signs
Let’s work together to ensure that Washoe Valley continues to be a
recreational paradise with preservation of its historical, cultural, visual relief
and natural resources. Your ideas and participation will make a big difference.
With sincere appreciation and warmest wishes,